Thursday, April 3, 2014

Reason #549398 why playing overseas has been good for me.. down sizing.

The art of simplicity. It's a beautiful thing and it took moving half way across the world for me to discover it.

When you have to pack your life in to 2 1/2 suitcases for 9 months you are forced to determine what is important. I had a whole lot of crap, to put it plainly, and having to pack everything up several times over the years has taught me just how much I really don't need a lot of it.

I'm in the process of packing to go back to America after year #4 and if my apartment could speak it would say: who threw up on me? Everything from the closets and drawers have been moved to the floor into piles; a sort of organized chaos.

They consist of three groups:
-America
-Travel for the next month
-Give away

Being in the same city for 2 years equals me accumulating more 'stuff' than the typical one year go and requires extra consolidation tasks.

But what a great feeling it is to see the "Give Away" pile growing and growing.

I'm a girl, I love to shop, and I don't think that will ever change. But, my purchases have come few and far between over the past years in Europe.
1. Because it's just not possible to get it all back and
2. I've come to the realization that I just don't need it.

And big added bonus, all the items you decide to part ways with and give away, someone else who really needs them is seeing the benefit. Give a little, get a little. It feels good!

Simplicity. Thank you Europe.
Peace out crap I don't need :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment